Elijah Vickers’ Revolutionary Pension/Bounty-Land Warrant File

North Carolina
Elijah Vickers of Wilkes in the State of North Carolina who was a private in the company commanded by Captain Lenoir of the Regiment commanded by Col. Campbell in the North Carolina line for 22 mos.
Inscribed on the Roll of North Carolina at the rate of 73 Dollars 33 Cents per annum to commence on the 4th day of March, 1831
Certificate of Pension issued the 22nd day of June 33 and sent St. Patterson, Wilkesboro, NC. Arrears to the 4th of March ‘33                146.66
Semi-anual allowance ending 4 Sept ‘33      36.66 ½
                                                               $183.32 ½
Revolutionary Claim Act June 7, 1832
Recorded by Wm. Miller, Clerk
Book E, Vol. 6, Page 58
Let to W. M. Peders, Aug 3, 1843

North Carolina
Sarah Vickers, widow of Elijah Vickers, who was a private in the Revolution
Inscribed on the Roll at the rate of 34 Dollars 66 Cents per annum, to commence on the 4th day of March, 1843.
Certificate of Pension issued the 1 day of Feb 1844 and sent to W. M. Peders, Wilkesboro, NC Rep’d: Letter to Pension Agent 18 March ‘45
Noah Gibreath Mch 26, ‘53
James Calloway Apl 18, /54
James Calloway 6 Mar 1855
James Calloway Mch 15, 1855

State of North Carolina
Wilkes County
On this 23 day of May 1843 personally appeared before me one of the acting justices of the peace in and for said county, Sarah Vickes, a resident of North Carolina in the County of Wilkes, aged between 75 & 80 years, who being first duly sworn, according to law doth, on her oath, make the following declaration, in order to obtain the benefit of the provision made by the Act of Congress passed July 7, 1838, entitled: “An Act granting half-pay and pension to certain widows.” That she is the widow of Elijah Vickers, who was a soldier in the revolutionary war, (North Carolina Militia), and was placed on the Pension Roll as a Revolutionary Pensioner June 22nd 1833 at the rate of $73.33 seventy-three dollars & thirty-three cents per annum--the time of the said Elijah Vickes entering the service and the length of service will be fully shown on the reference to his Declaration on file in the pension office at Washington City, D.C.

She further declares that she was married to the said Elijah Vickes on or about the 29th day of December 1783, and that her husband the aforesaid Elijah Vickes died on the 26th day of February 1834; that she was not married to him prior to his leaving the service, but the marriage took place previous to the first of January, seventeen hundred and ninety-four, viz: at the time above stated--and that she has remained a widow ever since that period as will more fully appear by reference to the proof here to annexed. She further declares that she cannot go to the courthouse to file her declaration in consequence of bodily informity. Sworn to and subscribed on the day and year above written, before W.W. Peders, J.P.                                              Sarah Vickers (her mark)

State of North Carolina
Wilkes County
This day personally appeared before me on of the acting justices in and for said county, Elisah Vickes, and made oath in due form of law that Sarah Vickes the widow of Elijah Vickes a private in the Revolution, has remained a widow ever since the day of his death (which was the 29th day of Decr, 1834, and is now a widow and that her bodily infirmity is such that she cannot go to the Court House safely to file her declaration.
                                                                                                     Elisha Vickes
Sworn to and subscribed on the 23rd day of May 1843. W.M. Peders, J.P.

Know all men by these presents that we Elijah Vickes and John Vickes, Both of Wilkes County are held and firmly bound to Alexander Martin, Esq. Governor in the sum of five hundred pounds lawful money of North Carolina, to him his heirs & successors to which payment [?] and [?] to be made we bind ourselves, our heirs executors, administrators jointly, severally, and firmly sealed with our seals & dated this 29th of December 1783. The condition of the above obligation is such that whereas Elijah Vickes hath made application for a license for a marriage to be had between him said Elijah Vickes & Sarah Childres, now if there is no lawful objection to obstruct the said marriage then the above obligation to be void, else to remain in force and virtue.
                                                                                              Elijah Vickes {seal}
                                                                                              John Vickes {seal}
Signed Sealed & delivered in presence of G. Whatley, C.C.

State of North Carolina
Wilkes County
I William Martin
, Clerk of Court of Pleas & Quarter Sessions for said County of Wilkes, do certify the foregoing to be a true copy of the marriage bond of Elijah Vickes, copied from the original bond on file in my office. In testimony whereof I have hereunto set my hand & affixed the seal of my office at Wilkesboro this 26th day of 1843. Wm. Martin, C.C.C. By J.C. Ma?, C.C.C.


BRIEF in the case of Elijah Vickes of Wilkes Co., in the State of North Carolina, Act 7th June, 1832
Was the declaration made before a Court or a Judge? Court
2. If before a Judge, does it appear that the applicant is disabled by bodily infirmity?
3. How old is he? 73
State his service,as directed in the form annexed:

Period                 Duration of Service         Rank        Officers            
Volunteer, 1776              1 month             Private    Col. Cleveland  
Drafted                           3 mos.                              Col. Campbell
Volunteer, 1779              9 mos.
Volunteer, 1780          3-4 weeks                            Capt. Wm. Lanoir  
Volunteer                    3-4 weeks
Volunteer                    3-4 mos.
Volunteer                       3 mos.

5. In what battles was he engaged? Stono Ferry
6. Where did he reside when he entered the service? Wilkes Co., N.C.
7. Is his statement supported by living witnesses, by documentary proof, by traditionary evidence, by incedental evidence, or by the rolls? living witnesses
8. Are the papers defective as to form or authentication? and if so, in what respect? Perfect

I certify that the foregoing statement and the answers agree with the evidence in the case above mentioned. E. Bradford, Examining Clerk.

POWER OF ATTORNEY For ascertaining whether any increase or arrears of Pension are due the Widow or heirs of Revolutionary Pensioners, etc.

State of North Carolina
County of Wilkes
Be it known that before me, a Justice of the Peace, Elisha Vickas, aged 54 years, who being duly cautioned and then sworn in due form of law, states that he is the son of Elijah Vickas who was a revolutionary (pension act, 1832) in the State of North Carolina and that he died on the 26th day of February 1834 and that his mother, named Sarah Vickas who was paid, pension act 1838, died on the 4th day of July 1847 and that they were married on the 30th day of December in the year 1783 and that they were residents of Wilkes in the State of North Carolina and that they resided there 63 years, and that he resides in Wilkes County, NC.

BY THESE PRESENTS, constitutes, appoints, and fully empowers and authorizes irrevocably and with powers of substitution, Noah Gibreath of Wilkes Co., N.C. as his true and lawful Attorney for him and in his name and stead, to examine into, to prosecute, to demand, and to receive from the U.S. Government and State officers his rights in all and in any manner of claim for increase or arrears of Pension or land that may be due him as son & heir of Elijah & Sarah Vickas who died leaving the same undrawn, as in right of law may be entitled. IN WITNESS WHEREOF, he has on this 5th day of October 1852, hereunto signed his name, and affixed his seal.
                                                                                              Elijah Vickers (his mark) {seal}
Witness: W. C. Emmit Witness: A.G. Calloway
Signed, sealed, acknowledged, and sworn to before me; and I further certify, that Elisha Vickas has always by the community been known as the son of Elijah & Sarah Vickas. Dated on this 5th day of October, 1852. W. C. Emmit, J.P.


State of North Carolina
County of Wilkes
On this 30th day of October 1832 personally appeared in open court before the Court of Pleas & Quarter Sessions of the County of Wilkes & State of North Carolina now sitting, Elijah Vickes, a resident of the county of Wilkes & State of North Carolina, aged seventy-three years, who being first duly sworn according to law, doth, on his oath, make the following declaration, in order to obtain the benefit of the act of Congress passed June 7th, 1832.

That he was born on the 8th day of August 1759 in the County of Prince William in the State of Virginia, the record of which is entered in a prayer book now in the possession of Capt. William Gilreath of Wilkes Co., N.C.---when he was about six or eight years of age, his father removed to the County of Chatham in N. Carolina, he lived for about two years, and thence removed to the County of Rowan, in the same state, where he also lived about two years, and then removed to what is now Wilkes County NC. This deponent continued to reside in the said County of Wilkes until the Spring of the year 1776 when the Cherokee Indian becoming very troublesome on the North Western side of the Blue Ridge, and a requisition being made upon the Militia of Wilkes, for a company of volunteers to suppress them and guard the frontier settlements, this deponent volunteered himself about the last of May or first of June 1776, and joined the company of volunteers commanded by Capt. Joseph Herndon, and rendezvoused near where Wilkes Court House now stands and marched to the protection of the fronteir settlements on the North Western side of the Blue Ridge; and after securing the country for about a month, without being able to effect an engagement with the Indians, they returned home and was discharged. In the month of August or September following this deponent was drafted for a three months tour, to go against the Cherokee nation of Indians again. He again rendezvoused near Wilkes Court House, and was placed under the command of Capt. Benjamin Cleveland & Lieutenant Wm. Lenoir, and thence marched direct to the Pleasant Gardens a few days, they marched direct to the Cherokee Towns of Couwee?, Oconaluftee, Wautauga, & the Middle Towns--at the latter place, the Indians having fled and abandoned the towns, and the troops being sickly from eating green corn & beef without salt, a preparation was made by Genl. Rutherford for a [?] and volunteer of the ablest and stoutest men to turn out and march to the Valley Towns--this deponent was among the number that turned out, and when the requisite number was made up, they set out upon to march to the Valley Towns, a distance of about sixty miles--upon arriving at that place most of the Indians abandoned the place and fled--some few however remained whom they took prisoners after destroying their corn and such other property as they could find, and burning their towns, they set out upon their return, and marched back to the Middle Towns, where they rejoined that portion of the army they had left--after resting for a few days they marched back to North Carolina and when the company to which this deponent belonged, reached the County of Wilkes, they were discharged and each man returned to his home, which place this deponent believes he reached some time in the month of November. In the Spring or summer of the year 1779, a requisition was made by the State of North Carolina for a certain number of nine months men who were to be placed under the command of regular or continental officers. Receiving this information, Col. Cleveland set out immediately with his troops in pursuit of Col. Bryan and followed him as far as the trading ford on the Yadkin, but finding that Bryan was too far ahead, and his own troops not being prepared for a long tour, he concluded to abandon the pursuit and return home, which he accordingly did, and discharged the troops under his command. In this expedition, this deponent believes he served from three to four weeks. Immediately after his return home, this deponent again volunteered himself and joined the company of Capt. Gill and marched direct to Hamblin’sold store in the lower part of Wilkes Co. where they joined Col. Isaacs, and from thence they marched to Salisburg, and thence to the mouth of Rocky River, intending to advance into South Carolina, as it was understood a large number of [?] assembling near the Cheraw Hills, upon arriving at the mouth of the Rocky River, however, it was ascertained that a portion of the company was without arms and had been unable to procure them. In this state of affairs it was deemed best to select a certain portion of the troops and to furnish them with the arms which could be procurred. In effecting this, it became necessary to disarm many of those who had arms and to transfer them to others--this deponent was one of those who was disarmed, and was soon thereafter discharged and sent home--Col. Isaacs intending at that time to change the direction of his work and to join Genl. Galer. In this tour this deponent believes he served three to four weeks.

About the last of August or first of September of the same year, orders were issued by Col. Cleveland for all the militia of the County of Wilkes to rendezvous at the Court House and prepare for marching to oppose Majr. Ferguson of the British Army, who was said to be approaching from South Carolina with a large body of British and Tories--this deponent again volunteered himself and rendezvoused at Wilkes C.H. and joined the company of Capt. William Lenior. After organizing the troops and making the necessary preparations Col. Cleveland set out upon his march for the purpose of opposing Majr. Ferguson. On the way they were joined by Col. Campbell of Virginia, with a regiment of troops, as also by some other troops from North Carolina. They pursued this march until they reached a point near the South Carolina line which is now not particularly recollected. When intelligence was received that Majr. Ferguson with his troops had taken part on King’s Mountain--upon the reception of this information, it was proposed that all there who had horses or who could procure them, should immediately advance and make an attack upon Majr. Ferguson--this deponent having no horse, and not being able to procure one, was necessarily left behind; and although they pursued their march with as much speed as possible, did not arrive on time to engage in the battle--it, having been fought, and the Americans with their [?] being on them return a short distance, when the fort men joined them. After rejoining the Army, this deponent remained with them and [?] in guarding the prisoners while on their march, until they reached the Moravian Towns in the County of Stokes, where they were stationed for a considerable time guarding the prisoners aforesaid, and until the prisoners were sent off to Virginia or some other place--when this deponent was discharged and returned home, having been in service in this expedition, between two and three months.

Shortly after this deponent returned home, Col. Cleveland received information that a body of Tories under Col. Fanning had assembled on the waters of Deep River & were [?] many depredations upon the inhabitants of that part of the country--He immediately issued orders to Capt. Saml. Johnson of Wilkes, to raise a company of volunteers, and march to their relief--this deponent again volunteered himself and joined Captain Johnson at Hamblins old Store, and marched immediately to Cox’s Mills on Deep River, in Randolph or Chatham County--upon reaching Cox’s Mill, they ascertained that Col. Fanning with the greater portion of the Tories had marched off and abandoned that part of the Country--upon which they concluded to remain at that place for some time in order to afford security to the surrounding country which was in a state of considerable apprehension on account of the Tories that were believed to be skulking about. During their stay at Cox’s Mills they were engaged occasionally in scouring the surrounding country. As soon as quiet was restored, Capt. Johnson marched his company home and discharged them. In this tour this deponent believes he served about three months.

Sometime in the month of January 1781, information was received in Wilkes from General Davidson that Lord Cornwallis with the British Army was approaching from South Carolina when orders were immediately given for all the militia to turn out and oppose him--this deponent again turned out and joined the company of Capt. Richard Allen, and marched forth with a view of rendezvousing at Salisbury--but when they had arrived within a short distance of that place, they heard that Lord Cornwallis had crossed the Catawba, and was at that time in Salisbury. Upon receiving this information, they changed the direction of their route and marched toward Salem with a view of joining Genl. Greene. When they had advanced some distance beyond Salem, orders were received from Genl. Greene directing them to return, and endeavor to form a junction with Genl. Pickens who was supposed to be advancing by a circuous route from South Carolina. They did return & met with Genl. Pickens near Mitchell’s River in the County of Surry. After joining Genl. Pickens, they set out to join Genl. Greene, and when they had advanced on their return as far as Salem, they then joined the regiment of Col. Locke. Upon leaving Salem, Genl. Pickens with his troops took the direct road to Hillsboro, while Col. Locke took a route higher up the country--this deponent was attached to the troops under Col. Locke, and when they had proceeded a considerable distance, an express? was received from Genl. Pickens, stating that a large number of Tories had embodied themselves under a Col. Pyley, (a Tory Col.) and requesting that Col. Locke would repair with his troops, as speedily as possible to meet him at Frollinger’s Ford on Haw River. Col. Locke set out immediately, but before they reached the appointed place, Genl. Pickens had engaged with the Tories and defeated them. As soon as they ascertained this fact, they turned about and marched directly for Genl. Greene’s Army, which they joined near the High Rock Ford on Haw River. After remaining with Genl. Greene a few days, Col. Locke’s regiment, with some other troops were discharged and returned home--which place this deponent reached in the early part of March, 1781, having served during this tour from a month to six weeks. This last tour closed the services performed by this deponent during the revolutionary war, except some short tour against the Tories, the length of which cannot now be recollected. He has lived in the County of Wilkes ever since the revolutionary war, and resides there at this time. He never received any written discharges from the service, except the one given by Capt. Lewis for his nine months tour, but which, he had stolen, together with his Pocket Book & some other papers. He has no documentary evidence to prove his services but refers to Mr. William Johnson, William Gilreath, Alexander Gilreath, Esq., Capt. Saml. Johnson, & Mr. John Love, some of whom were with him during the most of the tours he performed--and he can also refer to them as persons to whom he is well acquainted, and who can testify to his character for veracity, if necessary.

He hereby relinquishes every claim whatever to a pension or annuity except the present, and declares that his name is not on the pension roll of the agency of any State. Elijah Vickes (his mark) Sworn to & subscribed the day and year aforesaid, R. Martin, C.W.C.C.

End of Pension File

Return to Top of Page                                                          Return to Wilkes Co., NC File

Return to Elijah Vickers File                                                 Return to Home Page

Kelly G. Vickers, 50 Trembly Bald Drive, Toccoa, GA 30577

Phone  706-886-0012       Email  kvickers@tfc.edu