Others researching this line:
Eudora West, firstname.lastname@example.org
Copied from the History of Henry Co., AL, by Mrs. Marvin Scott.
Jesse and Mary Holley Vickers Bible in possession of Mrs.
Myra Vickers Fain, Headland,
Jesse Vickers, b January 13, 1847. Mary A. E. Holley, b October 17, 1849. Jesse Vickers and Mary A. E. Holley were m 1866.
Phoebe Ann Vickers, b July 16, 1867.
Lucy Lenora Vickers, b February 17, 1870.
Jesse Wyatt Vickers, b May 1, 1872.
Green Marion Vickers, b December 28, 1874.
Lucy Ann Tallulah Vickers, b February 4, 1877.
Mamie Eudora Vickers, b May 23, 1880.
James Nathiel Vickers, b November 23, 1882.
Docia Lee Vickers, b December 29, 1884.
Ella Bertie Vickers, b June 5, 1887.
Deaths: Jesse Vickers d July 21, 1914.
Mary A. E. Vickers d July 18, 1927.
Grand-children in Headland of Jesse Vickers. Children of Wyatt Vickers (1872-1913) and wife, Sallie (1876-1936).
Max Vickers b in Headland, m. Bernice Collins - son, Gerald.
From Eudora West:
I'm glad I recognized your e mail address or I might not have looked at your
page. I am not related to anyone in Toccoa. I was born in
I am very interested in finding Jesse's ancestors. He is as far back as I
know. I am just beginning researching this line. I have been working on Lees, Jernigans, and Parmers. I have
been to the LDS library in
I do have another child listed for Jesse and Mary. Annie is Phoebe Ann Vickers Wright. The one not listed is Lonie who married a Craddock. I don't have any more facts than you do on their children other than my grandmother. But I do plan to get this.
Mamie Eudora Vickers b. 23 May 1880, d. 23
September 1963, buried in Belcher Bethel Baptist Church Cemetary
1. Walter LeGrande Lee (my father) b. 28 Jan
1906 in Barbour Co.,
1. Edward LeGrande Lee b. 15 July 1936 in Barbour Co., AL. Married Willa Janet Green 15 Dec 1957 in Dawson, GA.
1. Edward LeGrande Lee, Jr. b. 19 Sept 1959 in
2. James Carlton Lee b. 19 Mar 1965 in
3. Debra Janet Lee b. 8 Mar 1969 in
2. Jan was born 1 June 1937 in
3. Eudora Ann Lee b. 25 Oct 1938 in Barbour Co., AL. Married Richard Howell West
Aug 6, 1961 in Albany, GA Divorced 3 March 1980
1. Richard Todd West b. 16 Dec 1963 in
1. Matthew Todd West b. 14 March 1995 in
2. Allison Kaye West b. 11 Aug 1969 in Albany, GA Married Larry Keith Worsham 25 July 1992 in Edison, GA Keith was born 21 Feb 1966 in Bainbridge, GA (twin) 1. Weston Lee Worsham b. 28 July 1996 in
2. John LeGrande West b. 13 July 1971 in Albany, GA Married Tasha Nicole Singleton 5 June 1993 in Dawson, GA Tasha was born 23 Aug 1973
1. Taylor Ann West b. 15 Oct 1994 in
2. Floyd Green Lee b. 3 April 1909 in Barbour Co., AL. d. 13 March 1972. Married Mary Cameron. Children: Robert Lee, Patricia Lee, James Lee, Judy Lee
4. Mildred Loraine Lee b. 18 July 1915 in Barbour Co., AL. d. 17 Oct 1918
5. Jesse Hilton Lee b. 3 Oct 1918 in Barbour Co., AL. Married Doris
6. Gus Edison Lee b. 17 Dec 1921 in Barbour Co., AL. d. 17 July 1923
I am in the process of sending data sheets to my cousins so that I can get
the information I need. Wish me luck. My Uncle Hilton (the only living child)
has the Lee family bible. When I return to
I recently went to Barbour Co. and went to several cemetaries. I need to go back and go to Henry Co. cemetaries.
If I ever complete this task, I will send you an update. Meanwhile, share any data you have on the older Vickers. I hope you can understand my method of recording these relatives. If you can't, I will try to do better. (Like drive across town and give you a hard copy)
Henry Co., AL 1829, Henry Co.,
1830 Henry Co., AL Census
p. 312, Joel Vickers, 1M60-70, 1M15-20, 1M10-15, 1M5-10, 1F50-60, 3F20-30, 1F15-20.
p. 312, Jacob Vickers, 1M50-60, 1M20-30, 1F50-60, 2F10-15, 9 slaves.
p. 312, Stephen Vickers, 1M20-30, 1F20-30.
p. 324, Samuel Vicars, 1M30-40, 1M-5, 1F20-30, 3F-5.
p. 324, Young Vicars, 1M40-50, 1M5-10, 1F40-50, 1F10-15, 2 slaves.
p. 324, Riley Stokes
p. 325, Elizabeth Hatcher
p. 326, Jesse Vickers, 1M20-30, 2M5-10, 2M-5, 1F50-60, 1F20-30.
1840 Henry Co., AL Census
p. 154, Martha Vickers, 2M20-30, 1M15-20, 1F60-70, 1F20-30.
p. 157, Martha Vickers, 1M50-60, 2M20-30, 1M15-20, 1F70-80, 1F20-30, 2 slaves.
p. 173, Jesse Vickers, 1M30-40, 1M15-20, 1M10-15, 1M5-10, 1F30-40, 1F5-10.
Posted by Lucy Vickers Grisham on http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=message&r=rw&p=surnames.vickers&m=695
And other Vickers Connected- from
Will date, 18 Jan 1869- Henry co.
Lived Irwin Co.
Married 1. Nicey? and 2. Harriet Morris Aug 28, 1860.
Ala. Genealogical Register- Vol 8- 1797- Ala. Census according to the Spanish- John Boykin, Francis Boykin and wife, Richard Vickers and wife- Before Alabama became a State Territory- Probably still
Craven Co. N.C. 1800- Census mentions: Joel, John, John Sr., Jordan, Joseph and Josiah Vickers.
Craven Co. and Jones Co. N.C. Taxables 1769- John Vickers with 1 white male, 6 black males and 6 black females.
Joel Vickers- b @1765- Died 1835 in Henry Co.
Joel Vickers b 1805 in
Ref: 1818 Twiggs Co. Tax Census
Henry Co. Ala. Wills and Estate Records- Courthouse
1821 Land Lottery of Ga. - Lot#6 Sect 1 of Henry Co. Ga.
1827 Montgomery Co. Ga records
1830 Lowndes Co. Ga. Heads of Family
1 male 15-20, 1 male 40-50, 1 female 5-10, 2 females 10-15, 1 female 15-20, 1 female 30-40.
**Mark and Brand Registration for Jesse Vickers- Decatur Co.
Butts co. Deed Bk- A p 380- Dooly co. Ga. 23 Nov 1825 - Jesse Vickers by his attorney William H. Goldsmith, Twiggs Co. Ga. and William Pressley, Henry Co.- for $60.00- 202 ½ acres in 1st Dist. Dooly Co. Ga. Ref: Ga Genealogist Vol 42
1850 Ala. Census shows living in house with Jesse and Nicey- James J. Murphy age 22 and Elizabeth age 19- (He son of James Murphy and wife Nannie Blackshear or Nancy Irwin? Burke co.
1. Hatcher- b @1818- married Lucie Price b 1817- Ga.
2. Young John- Married Lovice Mahala Dominy- 27 Nov 1865, had Jesse and Mandy
3. Joshua- b @1826- married 1851 to Mary Price – (1850 Ala. Census- Eliza Vickers in household with them- age 60- b S.C.)
4. Sarah- Married Robert G. Sowell—(Sowells of Bertie Co. N.C. 1757 Taxables)
5. Lucy A.- a minor
6. Bryant- (by Harriet)-
7. Elijah- (by Harriet)-
8. Vicey- a minor
9. James- b 1829- Married Jan 31, 1850 to Elizabeth Hutto- and died 1861- CSA?
Hutto Family of
10. Edward C.- ?
17 Feb 1849- Deed- Jesse Vickers and wife Nicy- for $400- paid by Joshua Vickers
W ½ of NW ¼ Sect 24T8R27
SW ¼ of NE ¼ Sect 23T8R27
NE ¼ of NE ¼ Sect 22 T8R27
In district of lands subject to sale at Sparta, Ala. South and East of Cooper Creek- taking run of Creek up to Whitmore Price’s land.
Jesse deeded to Young Vickers for love and affection- one Negro girl named Harriet- 6 years old-15 Mar 1849- Signed by Jesse- Wit: James Murphy and Sarah Vickers.
Deed – 7 Dec 1853- Jesse Vickers for love and affection of son Young Vickers- 9 years and 11 mos. old- gave Negro boy, Jake about 14 years old until son becomes 21 or at death- Wit: Edwin Mayo and Robert G. Sowell.
**Mayos of Edgecombe Co. N.C. Micajah Mayo Estate- mentions wife Bethia Sherrod- daughter of John Sherrod- 2nd wife- Nancy Pippen (or Phippen)- Daughter of Joseph Pippen – Rev war Soldier- 12 Aug 1822- Deed Bk 17 p 501.
Edwin Mayo- married Polly Ann Hatcher- 1809- Pulaski co. Ga. Gideon and Dewey Mayo of Albemarle Co. N.C. Edward Mayo witnessed will of Richard Pope, his brother-in-law- Pasquotank Co.
Joseph Mayo- of Edgecombe mentions son Samuel.
Bible Records of John G. Sherrod- Edgecombe Co. Bible records- mentions daughter Sarah Ann- b Dec 2, 1823- married a Purvis- She died Mar 7, 1858.
Marriage of E.C. Echols to M.J. Murphy Jan 7, 1861- at residence of James Murphy.
Marriages of Henry Co. Ala. - Jonathan Jowers- to Rebecca Vickers- Mar 10, 1850
Mary Vickers- to David Crimm- Oct 10, 1833
Dothan Alabama – Houston co. Tombstone inscriptions:
Finetta Vickers- b 21 Nov 1850- Died 19 Dec 1903
Eliza Fatima Vickers- wife of H.L. Holmes born Jan 19, 1853- died Feb 17, 1938.
J.T. Vickers- and Mrs. M.L. Askew- an unmarried woman, widow- married Feb 11, 1910- Bk 17 p 619- sold parts of Sect. 16 Houston Co. Ala. (son of W.J. Vickers).
W.J. Vickers and wife Susan J. Nov 9, 1917- Bk 33 p 94- sold to J.T. Vickers and B. R. Kelly- land at
W.J. Vickers- guardian of Polly Askew, W. H. Askew and Fannie Askew- Henry Co. handwritten note in old marriage book- T.H. Askew gave permission for his daughter to marry W.J. Vickers Jan 18, 1877. License was issued to W.J. Vickers and Susan Askew and marriage performed at T.H. Askew’s home on Jan 9, 1877.
Aaron Askew was in Edgecombe Co. His will dated 1771 lists Jesse, Moses, wife Martha, daughters Martha, Sarah, Pheraba, and Ann. ( Was Pheraba, George Vickers wife?)
W.J. Vickers died Dale Co. Ala. Deed Bk H p 473- October 24, 1894- states that for love and affection to my wife Susan Vickers and her heirs –all my property—Land of Blue Springs Creek, parts of Sect’s 32, 33, and 22.
Houston Co. Records- James T. Vickers- to adopted son Wiley Vickers- $100 w/b 1 p 255- 19 July 1823.
Notice published Henry Co.- Register Newspaper
Estate of Jesse Vickers- valued at $1,857.72- paid out $726.93 leaving 1,130.79. Hatcher, Young J. Vickers administrators.
1st – to Harriet Vickers- widow- from sale of personal property- $13.91- also 1/6 of proceeds of sale of land- $155.87- Total $169.78.
2. Hatcher Vickers- $106.77- his distributive share.
3. Young J. Vickers- $106.77- his distributive share.
4. Joshua Vickers- $106.77- his distributive share.
5. Sarah Sowell- wife of Robert Sowell- $106.77- her share
6. Lucy A. Vickers- a minor by her guardian- George P. Kinsey $106.77- his distributive share.
7. Bryant Vickers- a minor by his guardian- George P. Kinsey- $106.77- his distributive share.
8. Elijah Vickers- a minor by his guardian, George P. Kinsey $106.77- his distributive share.
9. Vicey Vickers- a minor by her guardian, George P. Kinsey- $106.77- his distributive share.
Edward C is not mentioned here. May have died young.
10. To minor children of James Vickers- deceased- to wit: Charles, William, George, Joshua and Irwin Hatcher Vickers, each the sum of $21.37-their distributive share in the said estate. And it appearing to the satisfaction of the court that the said administrators have advanced to the mother of said minors for their support for the year 1868, the sum of $21.37 each. It is therefore ordered by the court that said minors have and recover nothing more of said administrators.
Elizabeth Vickers signed receipt for children of James above.
1860 Census – Henry co. Ala-
Charles I- b 1851
William J.- b 1852- died Dothan Ala. Married Susan Askew
George J- b 1855
Irwin Hatcher- b 1857
Deed Mar 21, 1855- James Vickers to Jesse Vickers- $100 to secure property.
4/17/1856- James Vickers gave note to Hatcher Vickers on cotton crop.
3/11/1855- James Vickers gave to Hatcher Vickers, note on Cattle.
Ref; Material from Vivian Cates,
1850-70-80 Census and Records of
Joshua Vickers- b 1826-
1. Martha- b 1854-6-
2. Hatcher J.- b Jan 22, 1852-
3. Irwin- b Oct 28, 1856- Henry Co. Ala. Died Sept 7, 1943- married Elender Smith. They are buried Corinth Cem.
4. Sarah- b 1861-
5. Susan- b Mar 30, 1862-
6. Mary- b 1871
7. Amanda- b 1873-
Blackwood Cem. M.E. Church- Elizabeth Vickers- 4/16/1870- 12/3/1936.
Abbeville Cem. Dr. William Charles Vickers b Jan 1882- died 1936- Wife Rose Hawley-
Had sons Charles and Austin Vickers.
C.C. Vickers- b 1914-d 1915- Infant son of W.H. Vickers.
Barbour Co. Ala records- Maggie White of Bush- married Jesse Vickers of
Joshua made deed to Littleberry Price in Oct. of 1850 for 150 acres land in Henry Co.
Samuel R. Buffalow gave note on corn and cotton crop to Joshaua Vickers- Mar 19, 1850 to secure $70.00 note owed by Buffalow to Joshua Vickers.
Hatcher Vickers- b 1818- Twiggs co. Ga.
In 1870 Census of Henry Co. Ala.
Son of Jesse Vickers and Nicy-
Married Lucie Price b 1817 Ga.
1. Drew- b 1849- Ala.
2. Sarah e- b 1853-
3. Eliza- b 1859-
4. Mary- b 1863-
Nov 19, 1875- Deed between A.B. Price and wife Lucy- land sold to Hatcher Vickers- Jan 7, 1882- A.B. Price and wife Nancy, sold 120 acres to H.J. Vickers
Jesse Vickers Jr.- b Jan 13, 1847- Ga? died Jan 22, 1921- Headland, Ala. Buried Sardis Church Cem.
Married Mar 29, 1866 to Mary Ann Elizabeth Holly. B October 17, 1849 and died Jan 16, 1927-
1. Phoebe Ann- b July 16, 1867- Ala and died Jan 15, 1935.- married George Levin Wright- Their children: Levin Asbery- b Oct 23, 1889- Aug 9, 1895- about 6 years old, Sallie died 1951 married James Creel- son of Daniel Webster Creel and Amanda Strickland Creel. Wright’s Cemetery shows: George Levin Wright- Mar 27, 1860-Feb 21, 1934. Levin a. Wright- Oct 12, 1818- Feb 18, 1887, Mattie b Sept 27, 1823 died Feb 7, 1890. Tabitha J. Wright, daughter of above-
2. Lucy Lenora- b Feb 1870-
3. Jesse Wyatt- b May 1872-
5. Lucy Ann Tullah- b Feb 1877-
6. Mamie Eudora- b may 1880-
7. James Nathaniel- b 1882-
8. Ella Bertie- b 1887-
9. Infant?- b July 7, 1892-
Mount Zion Cemetery- between Lawrenceville and Edwin, Ala. Buried there:
Pet- daughter of Green Marion- and S.A. Vickers- b Oct 21, 1902 died May 14, 1904-
Robert Wyatt Vickers b July 20, 1918- died Mar 29, 1920
Mary Myrtle Vickers- infant daughter of J.S. and Minnie Vickers- Dec 8, 1924- Jan 19, 1925.
Lillie C. Vickers- wife of Ross Holmes- Jan 15, 1901- Jan 20,1931.
Kelly G. Vickers, 50 Trembly Bald Drive, Toccoa, GA 30577
Phone (706) 886-0012 Email email@example.com